This is an aesthetically designed denture that is stabilised with implants. The implants are titanium rods that are placed in the jaw with components on the surface of the jaw that easily connects to the denture. Hence the denture is still removable, but whilst it is connected to the implants it is very secure. Our Hertfordshire dentists are trained in placing implants.
This enhances the chewing ability and functionality of the denture.
Typically, dentures rest on the gums and on teeth. However, over time the quality of the underlying bone, gum and teeth begin to deteriorate.
This tends to adversely affect the stability, functioning, cosmetics and confidence of the wearer. Implants provide a great solution since they connect the denture to the stability of the jaw resolving all previous issues and proving to be a great way forward.
Advantages of Implant Supported Denture
- The denture does not move and so remains stable. This not only improves comfort for the wearer but also socially improves the confidence of the wearer and gives the illusion of real stable teeth.
- Bone retention. Since there are implants within the bone there is less of a tendency for the bone to resorb at a faster rate over time. This helps to preserve bone and hence facial form preventing an aged appearance.
- Great aesthetics can be achieved due to innovations with acrylics. This means that we can design and produce realistic look teeth and gums on the dentures.
- Greater chewing ability when compared to dentures that are not supported by anything. In these instances there is a large proportion of facial muscular activity to “hold” the denture in place. Often denture wearers will tell you that their teeth move when they eat or speak. This can be very unsightly, embarrassing and socially prohibitive. Fortunately, implants have eliminated this problem.
- A cost effective solution. Another option would be to have porcelain work overlay the implants but this can be a more complex option and hence more expensive. An Implant supported/retained denture is a nice solution that ticks most of the boxes.
- Since it is a denture you can remove it from the gum surface. This helps the gums to breathe and there is less risk from infections such as candida.
Visit us in our Bishop’s Stortford practice.
The number of implants needed in Implant Supported Dentures:
This is often dependent upon the individual situation and your dentist will help to plan the appropriate treatment for you but in general:
- The top jaw will have approximately 4-6 implants. This is because the bone is softer and hence more implants are required to support the denture.
- The bottom jaw will have approximately 2-4 implants since it is denser in nature and can easily support the denture with fewer implants.
You will need a consultation with one of our Hertfordshire dentists, a discussion of your needs, and an examination with radiographs and treatment planning before any options are considered. This will establish your suitability for this treatment and the best way forward for you.
Next: What is All On 4
Our patients travel from all over
We have patients who have come from all over the home counties including Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Buckinghamshire to have Six-Month Smiles, call 01279 652400 or click here to contact us.