What is conscious sedation:
Conscious sedation is the safe and effective administration of drugs that safely relieve anxiety, increase relaxation, make the patient comfortable and reduce pain. Many procedures can be performed safely, efficiently and cost effectively using conscious sedation.
Goals of conscious sedation and analgesia:
• Maximise the patient’s safety
• Minimise discomfort and anxiety
• Maximise success of the procedure
• Minimise recovery time
• Maximise cost effectiveness of the treatment
Benefits of sedation:
• Comfortable, practical and convenient for the patient and the surgeon
• Safe due to lower levels of medication administered
• Time saving due to the quick recovery and no need for hospital admission
• Economical since no hospital stay, less side effects, and minimal time off work
• Recovery after sedation is much faster than with general anaesthesia
Conscious sedation is probably the fastest growing area in anaesthesia care, and has become a very effective viable alternative to general anaesthesia for many surgical procedures. The patient will come in on the day of surgery and leave the same day usually within one hour after the operation. In addition, there is a significantly lower incidence of side effects with conscious sedation and the costs for conscious sedation are much lower than general anaesthesia
I had my mind set today that I had to get treatment as my teeth are ridiculous. Talking to you first help me to understand I’m not alone and having you come in and relay these fears to the dentist helped immensely as I don’t think I could have said it for myself.
I had some x-rays today, root canals and 2 teeth re built. It turns out I have an abscess over my front teeth so I had some treatment for that too. I was very brave and very patient as this took some time. I began to relax after the dentist talked to me all the time and helped me with my needle phobia. I will be back for more treatment soon and even though I’m nervous I have had a lot of work done today and feel very proud of myself but I could not have done it without having someone to listen to me and help. This is such a nice service to have and so nice of you to provide it for me.
Thank you, you are amazing